Thursday, February 11, 2010

And Then What Happened: Part Second

So, Tuesday's to do list was :
1. Bury the dog.
2. Dentist appointment.

Can I have your pity now? K, Thanx. #2 didn't really bother me, but it sounds pitiful so I threw it in.

This past weekend Lucy developed a paralysis of one of her hind legs, a result of nerve damage from an old back injury. Since she was 17, blind, deaf, confused, and toothless -- I wavered only because she was, despite all of that, apparently happy and not in pain -- I decided that crippled was one decline too many, and made the decision to euthanize her.

The Him and I were out at first light digging a grave out back where our other bygone pets are interred. Thinking of that departed host I sniffled, "I hope that Dog Heaven is pretty close to where I'm staying, because I'll be visiting a lot." He smiled sadly. He feels my pain, but he is an atheist, so he can't really say, "of course."
I like to tweak him about it.

"You, on the other hand," I said, "will be in Hell. With the cats."


Rest in Peace, Lucy. You've earned it.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Lucy! So sorry you had to say farewell to her. It is always hard, no matter how old or sick they are.

    I love dogs AND cats. So, will I be up with you, or down with Him?

    ReplyDelete